Use discoverE to find books, journals, videos, government documents, microfilm collections, and other materials at the Emory libraries, which include Woodruff, Pitts Theology, Health Sciences Center, McMillan Law, Guy Chemistry, Math & Science Center and, Oxford libraries.
Helpful search terms for MARBL collections:
These collections pertain to Emory College when it was located in Oxford. Emory University was chartered in 1915, and the new Atlanta campus opened the next year. Archival collections pertaining to the current Oxford College are held by Oxford College Library's Archives and Special Collections.
Emory College financial records, 1834-1949 (bulk 1834-1916) (Series No. 48)
1.5 linear ft. (3 boxes) and 48 bound volumes (BV)
The collection is chiefly ledgers, cashbooks, receipts, files, and other records from the Office of the Treasurer documenting the financial transaction of Emory College, including disbursements made for faculty and administrator salaries, building projects and maintenance, and income from student tuition, rental properties, investments, and individual subscriptions. There are also a few records of other Collegeofficials, including Warren A. Candler, and accounts related to other institutions, including the Education Loan Association and the Technological School which was later incorporated as the Department of Technology.
Emory College Office of the Registrar records, 1838-1945 (Series No. 50)
2.25 linear ft. (5 boxes) and 14 bound volumes (BV)
Records of the Emory College Office of the Registrar include matriculation registers, lists of prospective students, grade books, attendance records and other items.
Emory College library records, 1846-1936 (Series No. 51)
31 bound volumes (BV)
The collection is chiefly of records of the Emory College library related to acquisition and circulation of books and periodicals. There are also library catalogs and shelf lists noting the location of materials. The collection also includes a few volumes related to the libraries of the Few Literary Society and Phi Gamma literary society and to Emory University Library.
Emory College general records, 1834-1918 (Series No. 47)
2 linear ft. (5 boxes), 10 bound volumes (BV), and 5 oversize paper folders (OP)
The general records of Emory College consist of an assortment of materials documenting various aspects of the history of the College from its founding in 1836 through the time of its move to the Emory University campus in Atlanta in 1919. The collection includes items relating to events and activities such as commencement; printed material and clippings on the history of the College; writings and other documents of several early presidents of the College; student papers; library records; faculty and student records; and legal documents including a copy of the College charter.
Emory College Board of Trustees records, 1837-1919 (Series No. 46)
.25 linear ft. (1 box), 6 bound volumes (BV), and 2 microfilm reels (MF)
Collection includes minutes, reports, and other records of the Emory College Board of Trustees. Records relate to faculty appointments, College finances, the conferring of degrees, campus planning, and other issues.
Emory College faculty records, 1845-1917 (Series No. 52)
0.25 linear ft. (1 box) and 9 bound volumes (BV)
Emory College was founded in 1836 by the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Early faculty members included Alexander Means, Gustavus John Orr, Osborne L. Smith, and George W. W. Stone. The collection is chiefly minute books from meetings of the Emory College faculty, 1845-1917. There are also scattered unbound minutes, 1898-1915; typed transcriptions of entries, 1845-1859; and a volume of tributes and memorials to Emory College faculty and administrators, 1874-1915. Minutes concern College policies including matriculation, curriculum, examinations, and the discipline of students.