Use discoverE to find books, journals, videos, government documents, microfilm collections, and other materials at the Emory libraries, which include Woodruff, Pitts Theology, Health Sciences Center, McMillan Law, Guy Chemistry, Math & Science Center and, Oxford libraries.
Helpful search terms for MARBL collections:
These collections pertain to specific academic departments, schools, and divisions within the University.
Library School, Carnegie Library of Atlanta director's files, 1905-1971 (Series No. 12)
6 linear ft. (6 boxes) and 1 oversized paper folder (OP)
The Library School, Carnegie Library of Atlanta, was established in Atlanta, Ga., 1905, as the Southern Library School. The Library School was financed, 1914-1925, by Carnegie Corporation and became affiliated with Emory University in 1925 and officially under the administration of the University in 1930. Tommie Dora Barker served as the head librarian and director of the school, 1915-1930. The collection includes the papers of Tommie Dora Barker as director and head librarian of the the Library School, including administrative records, alumnae records, course outlines, and student and prospective student folders. The collection also includes correspondence, organizational records, clippings, and other papers, relating to Barker's work with American Library Association, for which she served as a field agent in the South (1930-1936), Southeastern Library Association, Carnegie Library School, and Emory University Library School and Division of Librarianship. Notable correspondents include Andrew Carnegie, Edwin R. Embree, Leo Mortimer Farnot, Clark Foreman, Frederick P. Keppel, and Louis Round Wilson.
Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing records, 1914-2011 (Series No. 17)
38 linear ft. (76 boxes)
Contains accreditation reports, annual reports, files from the Office of the Dean, faculty records, academic programs, organizations, photographs and publications.
Department of Geology collection, 1920-1986 (Series No. 152)
10 linear ft. (22 boxes) and 2 bound volumes (BV)
The Department of Geology was officially established at Emory University in 1938, chaired by James George Lester. Lester helped established undergraduate and graduate programs in geology as well as a geology field camp for faculty and students in northern Georgia. The Department was closed in 1986 and was absorbed into the Department of Environmental Studies. The Department of Geology records include administrative materials, grant proposals, correspondence, teaching materials, and field books from the department's geology camp. The earliest materials, 1920-1938, are those of department founder James George Lester.
Department of Music collection, 1922-2002 (Series No. 177)
5.75 linear ft. (8 boxes)
Artificial collection contains programs, handbills, brochures, correspondence, clippings, and audio recordings from musical ensembles, productions, and concert series of the Department of Music.
Division of Librarianship records, 1928-1986 (Series No. 13)
102 linear ft. (102 boxes)
The Division of Librarianship became a part of the Graduate School at Emory University in 1948. The collection consists of administrative records of the Emory University Division of Librarianship including correspondence, curricula, faculty meeting minutes, scholarship information, and other items. There are also records from the Library School, Carnegie Library of Atlanta and the Emory University Library School.
Yerkes National Primate Research Center records, 1929-2004 (Series No. 14)
148 linear ft. (224 boxes) and web sites
The collection contains the records of the Yerkes Regional Primate Research Center, and its predecessor, the Yerkes Laboratories of Primate Biology, Inc., from 1929-2004. The records include correspondence, reports, subject files, committee files, research records, financial records, printed material and photographs.
Department of Biology records, 1930-2004 (Series No. 93)
4.5 linear ft. (9 boxes)
The Department of Biology was established at Emory College in 1911, though courses in biology had been taught prior to that. The Department continued to operate the auspices of Emory University after the rechartering of the school in 1914.The collection consists chiefly of the records, 1930-1993, of the Department of Biology at Emory University. The records include administrative materials, meeting minutes, audiovisual materials, newspaper clippings, and subject files. The records also include materials related to special endeavors by Biology Department faculty such as the Emory Herbarium and the Baker Woodlands. Many materials come from Woolford Bales Baker who served as Professor from 1919-1961. Materials relating to William Dudley Burbanck's history of the Department of Biology are also contained within the collection as are materials related to Emory University's chapter of Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society.
Emory University Center for Research in Social Change Witness to the Holocaust project files, 1939-2005 (bulk 1978-1983) (Series No. 8)
5.25 linear ft. (10 boxes) and 65 bound volumes (BV) and 2 oversize paper folders (OP)
Records from Emory University's Center for Research in Social Change Witness to the Holocaust project (1978-1982) primarily consist of recorded interviews and their associated transcripts of World War II concentration camp liberators and survivors, many of them residents of Atlanta, Georgia. It also includes a large collection of photographic prints and negatives depicting the conditions in concentration camps circa 1945 as well as images from the post-World War II era; subject files, including clippings, reports, and published materials relating to the Holocaust, Nazism, Israel, and Emory University's Witness to the Holocaust project; and publications, including entire issues of such newspapers and magazines as Hadassah, Martyrdom and the Resistance, and The Southern Israelite.
Roberto C. Goizueta Business School records, 1940-2004 (Series No. 92)
1.5 linear ft. (3 boxes)
Records of the Roberto C. Goizueta Business School and its precursors consists of promotional materials, annual reports, publications, and other miscellaneous materials.
American Historical Association Conference Group for Central European History - Central European History journal records, 1959-1992 (Series No. 35)
2.25 linear ft. (5 boxes)
This collection contains the records of the peer-reviewed journal Central European History, edited by Emory University professor, Douglas A. Unfug, on behalf of the American Historical Association's Conference Group for Central European History. The collection consists of administrative materials, correspondence, and collected materials relating to editing of the journal, as well as materials related to the Conference Group itself.
Emory University Center for Research in Social Change director's files, circa 1965-1982 (Series No. 10)
22.5 linear ft. (23 boxes)
Records of Fred Roberts Crawford as director of the Center for Research in Social Change (CRSC) at Emory University, including correspondence, printed material, reports, proposals, financial records, and clippings concerning the work of the center particularly related to mental health, civil and urban violence and crime, community relations, racial attitudes, aging, and human resources.
Department of Art History records, 1965-2010 (Series No. 178)
6 linear ft. (12 boxes)
Collection includes administrative materials, course materials and syllabi, grant related records, planning files, and other records of the Art History Department at Emory University.
Department of African American Studies records, 1970-2003 (Series No. 135)
8.75 linear ft. (17 boxes)
The Department of African American Studies was established at Emory University in 2003 from the African American Studies Program, 1992-2003, previously known as the Black Studies Program, 1971-1980; Afro-American and African Studies Program, 1980-1984; and African American and African Studies Program, 1984-1992. Prominent faculty members included Dolores P. Aldridge, the program's first chairperson, and Rudolph P. Byrd. The collection is chiefly the records of the Department of African American Studies' institutional predecessors at Emory University. Records consist of administrative materials, curriculum and course offerings, correspondence, programs and event planning, annual reports and audio-visual materials. There are also materials related to Emory University's affirmative action program, racial inequities at the University, and the recruitment of African American faculty members and students.
National Faculty of Humanities, Arts, and Sciences, Inc. (Series No. 121)
87 linear ft. (87 boxes)
The National Humanities Faculty was founded in 1968 in Concord, Mass., as an affiliate program of Phi Beta Kappa in coordination with the American Council of Learned Societies and the American Council on Education, with funding from the National Endowment for the Humanities. The mission of the organization was to involve college and university professors in professional development programs primarily designed for teachers in secondary education. In 1974, the group became an independent non-profit and moved to the Emory Universiy campus in 1981. The National Faculty moved to downtown Atlanta in 1994 and was dissolved in 2005.
Emory University Center for Creativity and Arts records, 1998-2010 (Series No. 188)
2.5 linear ft. (5 boxes) and web sites
Records contain promotional materials for arts events at Emory University collected by the Center for Creativity and Arts, including those collected from performing and visual arts groups, museums, and lecture series promoted by such campus institutions as the Art History Department, The Creative Writing Department, the Music Department, the Dance Program, the Film Studies Department, and the Michael C. Carlos Museum, among others.