Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
 
 

Emory University History: University Growth and Change

This guide includes descriptions of resources from Emory University Archives as well as manuscript collections related to the history of Emory University.

discoverE Search Terms for Emory University Archives

Use discoverE to find books, journals, videos, government documents, microfilm collections, and other materials at the Emory libraries, which include Woodruff, Pitts Theology, Health Sciences Center, McMillan Law, Guy Chemistry, Math & Science Center and, Oxford libraries.

Helpful search terms for MARBL collections:

"Emory University--Faculty"

"Emory University--Students"

"Emory University--Students--Socities"

"Emory College--Administration"

University Growth and Change

This section complements the Administration section; these collections pertain to the significant expansion of the University in the late 20th century as well as desegregation and efforts to promote diversity.

Emory University Office of Development records, 1916-2000 (Series No. 91)
5.75 linear ft. (12 boxes)
The Emory University Office of Development started major fundraising campaigns in the 1950s to raise capital for the University. In addition to general fundraising, the Office of Development oversaw two major initiatives, the Merit Program, 1960s, and Campaign for Emory, 1980s. Through Campaign for Emory, the Office of Development and Office of Alumni Relations fostered a working relationship which eventually led to a merger of the two into the Office of Development and Alumni Relations. The collection consists of the records of the Office of Development at Emory University. The bulk of the records date from the 1950s through the 1990s and include administrative materials, donor and prospective donor lists, correspondence, and printed material. The Merit Program and Campaign for Emory initiatives are well documented in the collection. Newspaper and magazine clippings relating to fundraising at Emory and other educational institutions are also included.

Emory University Office of Business Management buildings and facilities files, 1927-1993 (Series No. 149)
9.75 linear ft. (20 boxes ), 10 oversized papers (OP), and 37 extra oversized papers (XOP)
Business and facilities files of the Office of Business Management include materials related to the construction, renovation, acquisition, disposition, and management of Emory University’s buildings and properties, as well as other facilities affiliated with the University. Included are legal documents and correspondence, internal memoranda regarding the planning and maintenance of University facilities, plats, surveys, site plans, and other architectural renderings. Materials span the period 1927-1993, but the bulk of the collection originates from 1950-1989.

Emory University desegregation collection, 1960-1994 (Series No. 99)
2 linear ft. (3 boxes)
Emory University was officially desegregated in September of 1962 and admitted its first African American undergraduate in the fall of 1963. The collection consists of records documenting the process of desegregation and other events relating to racial issues at Emory. Included are documents summarizing the process of integration; copies of various statements issued by Emory faculty and students; a copy of the Petition for Declaratory Judgment and Injunction to the Superior Court of Dekalb County; accounts of activities surrounding campus racial protests that occurred in 1969 (print and audio); and information concerning more recent events that took place in the 1990s.

Emory University President's Commission on the Status of Women records, 1973-2006 (Series No. 30)
10.75 linear ft. (22 boxes)
The President's Commission on the Status of Women (PCSW) was established in 1976 as an advisory body to the President on issues related to Emory University women. Records of the President's Commission on the Status of Women include correspondence; meeting minutes and agenda; bylaws; budgets; reports; committee records; subject files related to issues of affirmative action, hiring, promotion, and tenure for female faculty; items related to various programs, projects, and symposia; the files, 1990-2006, of acting presidents, chiefly compilations of annual activities; and some digital and audiovisual material.

Emory University President's Commission on Race and Ethnicity records, 1978-2006 (Series No. 106)
2.5 linear ft.(5 boxes)
The President's Commission on Race and Ethnicity was created in 1979 as the President's Commission on the Status of Minorities by then Emory President James T. Laney to address issues of racism and discrimination at Emory University and to encourage the recruitment and retention of minority faculty. Records in the collection include Executive Committee and subcommittee minutes and annual reports, travel fund applications, and items related to campus events and symposiums sponsored by the commission. There are also some materials related to a racially motivated grievances including an incident involving Emory professor C. M. Worthman.

Emory University Office of Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender Life records, 1979-2012 (Series No. 208)
3.5 linear ft.(7 boxes) and web site
The Office of Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender (LGBT) Life records contain files that were created by the Office and by Emory LGBT student groups from 1979 to 2012 documenting campus protests and controversies, as well as campaigns for policy changes related to discrimination and harassment prevention and same-sex partner benefits.

Contact Information

John Bence's picture
John Bence
Contact:
Stuart A. Rose Manuscript, Archives, and Rare Book Library
540 Asbury Circle
Atlanta, GA 30322
404-727-9123
jbence@emory.edu
Website