As of July 1, 2013, there are 28 member states in the European Union and 23 official languages. The most recent member state is Croatia,added in July 2013. You can check applicant states and status on the European Commission’s Enlargement page.
The European Union is a supranational organization, therefore, research resources may be found in sources for both foreign and international law. There are four major institutions related to European Union Law: the European Commission, the Council of the European Union, the European Parliament, and the Court of Justice. These institutions and the other EU institutions are described and linked on Europa’s Institutions page.
Resources for background on the European Union and EU research include:
- The ABC of European Union Law: A pdf treatise by Kaus-Dieter Borchardt on European Union law, with chapters on EU legal history, the institutions of the EU, legal sources, the legislative process, interaction with national law, and an annex of significant cases.
- Europa: Links by institution, subject, and document type
- Search Europa: From the European Journalism Centre, a targeted Google search of the Europa portal. Use the Law tab to search within Eur-Lex.
- Europa EU by Topic: Summaries and links to documents and agencies
- The EU’s Delegation to the United States: News and links to policy areas and EU websites
- Europa Newsroom: Linked stories by date or by topic, and special coverage topics including enlargement
- Info-Europa: A weekly newsletter from the University of Exeter with EU news and new legislation
- European Commission Central Library's Virtual Reference Collection: Resources for EU law, news, policies, search tools, statistics, and terminology
- ECLAS EU Library catalogue: Search documents and periodicals of and about the EU
- European Union Bookshop: Search for EU publications in the EU Bookshop, with most available as free downloads
- NYU GlobaLex Guide: European Union Legal Materials: An Infrequent User’s Guide
- ASIL European Union Research Guide
- Duke Law Library's European Union Research Guide
- Cardiff University EDC: Europe on the Internet (guide with institutions, databases, and research resources) and European Sources Online (links to information on recent developments)
- A Guide to Researching EU Law (Law Library of Congress)